Monday, May 28, 2007

Shrek 3

Well, I loved Shrek and Shrek 2, so it would stand to reason that I would enjoy the 3rd installment from my favorite Ogre. However, it now looks more like the fine folks at DreamWorks have run out of fresh ideas. I’m not saying that the movie was bad; it was just alright. I would actually classify it as just above meh.

Let’s look at the story first. Shrek and Fiona are still in Far Far Away. They are filling in for the sick King. However, before the King dies he proclaims Shrek and Fiona as heirs to the throne, and states that there exists only one other person who could inherit the throne: Arthur. So Shrek, Donkey, and Puss go off to find this heir. Fiona however, has to stay at the castle to fend off a coup by Prince Charming with the help of several other fairy tale princesses. She also has to attend a baby shower—her own! That’s right folks, there will soon be the pitter patter of little ogre feet heard ’round the castle. So Shrek sets off to find this heir with the knowledge that he is going to become a father. They meet some other characters along the way, including Lancelot, the high school bully, and Merlin, a crazy, out-of-practice wizard.

There’s the plot. I was very excited to see the movie, but while there were some funny parts, it was not what I expected. Personally, I think they should have stopped after Shrek 2. I know that, as long as the Shrek franchise continues to make money, DreamWorks will continue to make them. However, I suggest that they use some of the money made from the third movie to hire new writers for the fourth installment (which I hear is in the making).

Now that I’m writing this review I find myself wishing that the movie was worse, so I would have more to elaborate on. Unfortunately, I can’t make that happen, so as it stands the movie receives a 5. I was disappointed by Shrek 3, but I guess we all have to deal with disappointment sooner or later.

1 comment:

jbodster said...

Why am I not mentioned in this review?! I was with you when you saw it! We agreed on that rating together!! How many times do I have to tell you... I AM THE BRIDE!! ;)