Monday, March 17, 2008

Before Sunrise

Thankfully, I've recently connected with a coworker who seems to have the same exact movie taste as I do. This is nice because I can get film recommendations I know are quality, and I also don't have to think very hard when making recommendations of my own. My introduction to the movies Before Sunrise and Before Sunset are a result of this alliance.

For some, I think this film is probably rather polarizing, either you love it or hate it. It's different from nearly all of the romantic movies out there because it doesn't trifle with it's characters too much. It doesn't set us up to believe that they are currently with the wrong person, or try to ruffle us by creating a far-fetched misunderstanding. Before Sunrise just allows us to follow a pair of travelers as they get to know each other more and more intimately. The nice thing is that we are introduced to the characters, Celine and Jesse, at the same point that they are introduced to each other. They are both traveling on a train in Europe and happen to strike up a conversation. Jesse needs to get off the train in Vienna so that he can catch his flight back to the United States in the morning, but is so intrigued by this connection he's made with Celine that he asks her to get off the train with him so they can hang out and continue their conversation. Both are awkward and hesitant about it, but see it as an opportunity that neither want to pass up.

So for the rest of that day and through the night, Jesse and Celine walk around the city, go into bars, tour parks, all the while getting to know each other. The end.

Seriously, that's pretty much it. If you're looking for an exciting or action-packed plot, try pretty much any other movie. Now, I wouldn't want you to think that because of this fact I enjoyed the movie less. On the contrary, I loved this film. It was ripe with the realness of a new relationship, with a clumsy beginning and tense, and goose-pimpley sensations throughout. Jesse, played by Ethan Hawke, is an American in the middle of young adulthood angst in thinking about his relationships and his future (thus the trip to Europe). I wouldn't say that Jesse is the most loveable male romantic lead, but I like that. He's clearly flawed, pessimistic to a fault and sometimes letting his opinions run away with him. French actress Julie Delpy is Celine, and she is a delightful match for the character of Jesse. She's an ambitious young French woman with a "seize the day" attitude towards life and a hint of a superstitious nature.

They talk about many topics, because the conversation is really what drives the movie. After looking through some other reviews, I found that the common complaint is that all Jesse and Celine do is talk. Don't get me wrong, things happen throughout the night, but the things that they share with each other through conversation are central. This is the same for the movie's sequel, Before Sunset, in which (slight spoiler!) the two meet up once again at a later point in Europe. While the plot is similar, I highly recommend the sequel as an excellent continuation of Jesse and Celine's story.

Rating: 13

Before Sunrise is a memorable experience. Hawke and Delpy easily pulled me into their chance, short-lived meeting. What I like so much about this movie is its honesty. It doesn't try to fool us, take us for a ride, or make us believe in something that doesn't exist. It just takes a slice from the pie of life and lets us sample the flavor.

10 comments:

Neal Paradise said...

i'm very glad you saw this movie and liked it, DW, because that gives your theory about rom-coms a more complete body. not only can you point out what rom-coms do wrong, but now you can give an example of a movie which does those things right. granted, Before Sunrise is not a comedy, but it shares the basic premise of "boy meets girl" with other romantic movies. good review.

Wicked Little Critta said...

Ummm...could you adjust that comment to reflect the fact that I wrote the review, and not DW?
;)

Moshe Reuveni said...

WLC, do mean to say there is more than one person/critta on this planet that doesn't like Adaptation?

Neal Paradise said...

more than two, Moshe.

i'm so so so sorry, DoubleYou Ell Cee. that error was merely typographical. at least i got the W right! :-)

Dr. Worm said...

First of all, PM, I applaud your keen insight, which obviously tipped you off to the fact that I ghostwrite all of WLC's reviews.

Second, where in tarnation did the Adaptation talk come from?

Thirdly, and more seriously, WLC has nailed the movie here, and I agree with her wholeheartedly (as I so often do in non-Adaptation-related matters).

Wicked Little Critta said...

I have to admit, I'm confused about the Adaptation reference as well...

Moshe Reuveni said...

Adaptation explanation:
WLC says in her (DW's?) review, and I quote - "I've recently connected with a coworker who seems to have the same exact movie taste as I do".
Now, WLC is also world famous for her anti Adaptation tendencies, unique because they're so rare in society (there are fewer anti Adaptationists out there than there are O negatives).
Add the two arguments up and the logic is impeccable.

I do apologize for my less than serious attitude.

Wicked Little Critta said...

Well that explains it: I'm O negative.

Neal Paradise said...

hey wait a minute. i'm B positive...

Dr. Worm said...

Ah, that's true. Because I mainly cavort with WLC, PM, and SP--Adaptation-haters all--I was beginning to think that I was in the minority for liking that movie. I forgot that it was indeed a well-regarded movie, earning 83% on Metacritic and 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. So it seems I was right all along.

Also, I'm O-positive.