Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Chipmunk Adventure

It looks like a hula-hoop isn’t the only thing Alvin wants. Recently, I caught the end of the new Chipmunks’ movie. After seeing that I was inspired to watch a beloved classic from my childhood, The Chipmunk Adventure. This 1987 movie shows us an exciting chapter in the lives of these adorable and mischievous chipmunks. Dave is packing for a European trip and Alvin is begging to be allowed to tag along. The babysitter, Ms. Miller, will arrive soon and then Dave will be off. To distract themselves from missing Dave, the Chipmunks decide to hang out with the Chippettes and play videogames. After an intense argument over who would win a balloon race in real life, they are given the chance to find out by two smugglers and the adventure begins.
I really enjoy this movie. I didn’t know if it's memories of sitting in the movie theater watching it (this was the first movie I’d ever seen in theaters) or if it was just that good. There are some just movies that just stick with us. It seemed time to give it another try and measure my enjoyment. As it turns out, I would still enjoy this movie as much if it hadn’t been the first movie I saw in theaters. I love Alvin and Brittany’s narcissistic tendencies and the way they clash with another. I love cute little food obsessed Theodore who just wants one meal without a music duel or scary henchmen interrupting it. I also love Simon and Jeanette’s pragmatic views, and how they still go along with everything Brittany and Alvin decide to do.
This movie shows us the wonder of cartoons, where anything can happen and since it is a cartoon no one is really expecting reality. Don’t get me wrong, I wish I could belt out a rock song on top the ancient ruins of Greece, or return a kidnapped baby penguin to its parents, but alas I can’t. However, I can still live this fantasy vicariously through this movie. There is also something wonderfully beautiful in the simplicity of the movie. It’s not pretentious just enjoyable. I feel like (with the exception of this summer) there have been many movies in the recent past that go for that thrill factor instead of relying on the audience's enjoyment. There were no crazy plot twists; it was just a straightforward story with no real subplots. I know my readers may think I am being a bit nostalgic, but what are some older films that you just enjoy? They may not even be good, but you enjoy them.
I am actually kinda hesitant to give this movie a rating. My enjoyment of the movie is really high up, but I don’t know if the movie is actually that good. So to appease myself I’ll give it two ratings. My enjoyment rating is 15. However, the movie is nothing that is going to change the world or knock everyone’s socks off like The Dark Knight, so this movie gets a 10. Oh yeah, and a hula hoop!

3 comments:

Neal Paradise said...

you're right, SP. there are just some movies that aren't connected for us to any critical scale, that can't be measured or quantified. those movies just contain too much nostalgia and memory for us to view them without having those memories flood back. for me, it's The Happiest Millionaire. it's an old Disney live-action movie, from probably the early 70s. it stars Fred McMurray and Leslie Ann Warren, and you've probably never heard of it before. my grandmother had taped this movie from TV, and i remember watching it with my sister when we went over there from very early on. here's the kicker, though: it's a musical. 1) that doesn't bother me, and 2) i know every word. call me crazy (Lord know i do myself), but i just love it. but if DW or YRF were to watch this movie, they'd probably find it kinda stupid, maudlin and cloying. it just has too many memories attached to it for me to judge it even remotely objectively.

Dr. Worm said...

Like SP, I have a lot of positive memories about The Chipmunk Adventure, though I'd probably give it a 12 for my enjoyment and a 5 overall.

I can't believe SP didn't mention the awesomeness of the music, though.

Stormy Pinkness said...

You're right DW, I should have mentioned the music, which is amazing. It has also been called to my attention that I assumed too much of a knowledge of the Chipmunks on the part of our readers and therefore kinda skimped on the synopsis.

We are introduced to Dave Seville, The Chipmunks "father" and Alvin, Simon and Theodore at the same time, while Dave is packing for his round the world trip. Simon (The Brainy One) is pointing out all the things that Dave will want to see, Theodore (The food loving little guy) is making sure Dave has the things he needs. Finally, Alvin bursts into the room and dives into Dave's open suitcase, begging to be taken along. The boys' babysitter shows up and hits something while parking outside their house. The boys all groan that their babysitter is Ms. Miller, an older woman who is not the best driver.
The boys hang out with their female counterparts, The Chipettes and play a Balloon race around the world game, which alvin loses. Ofcourse, Alvin being arrogant says that the reason he lost is because of the game and he would win if they were to race that way in real life.

In the same area, a brother/sister jewel smuggling team are lamenting over the problems that an individual named, Jamal, is causing. Claudia (the sister) hears Alvin and Brittany (The female Alvin) arguing and gets the idea to send the two groups on a race and smuggle the jewels that way.
When they arrive at the starting point where the baloons take off Simon and his counterpart Jeanette are discussing routes to take and the race begins with Simon being literally dragged along. They are given dolls in their own likenesses to drop off, to "show they made it to checkpoints" and get the other team's doll in return. Along the way they face several obstacles, mostly posed by two sketchy looking henchmen, who you have no real idea who they're working for. The teams do occassionally cross paths.

One of my favorite scenes is when Brittany and her team (Jeanette and Eleanor (Female Simon) get caught somewhere in the middle east and brought to the country's ruler. When they are brought into the throne room they hear this deep ominous voice talking and when the throne turns around it is a little kid who is playing with a toy. The girls' dolls are captured and they must escape with their dolls, by charming the snakes guarding them. Normally, I'm afraid of snakes but when they start dancing along with the girls it is pretty great. Also the ruler who is probably like 8, has decided that he will marry Brittany in the future and gives her a baby penguin, stolen from Antartica, as an engagement present.